18 March 2009

Thrice Bitten

Today I had my first shot in more than twenty years. You know the kind - "drop your drawers and bend over, honey" ... (At least it wasn't the expected, "This won't hurt a bit" routine.) I was more surprised than I expected I would be when the doc said double dose antibiotics and a shot. (irk!)

I waited and waited for the nurse to come in and do the dirty deed and had even found my longest, sharpest fingernail with which I would dig into my hand as a distraction from the almost-certain pain yet to come. I could hear them making their lunch plans outside the door -- it was barely 11 o'clock! (grr ... Don't you hate it when you're the customer and the help is focused on personal stuff instead of doing their jobs and assisting you?) I began rationalizing in my head to remain calm, the nurse popped her head in the door and apologized for the delay. That's when I learned that the prescribed shot was a special kind she had to mix from a powder prior to injecting (irk!) and she was off, walking quickly down the hall, shaking the bottle as she went.

Funny how just her small moment of common courtesy changed everything! Suddenly, my growing animosity turned to understanding and empathy. How thoughtful of her to tell me the reason for the delay. What a positive difference that small courtesy made for us both and my overall experience! (From the first time I met this good doctor and his nurse, I have been impressed by their comeraderie, demeanor, courtesy, and humor, not only shared within their staff but that they extend to all of their clients, as well.

There is precious little in this world today that doesn't add unnecessary stress to us, due to the lack of consideration one demonstrates for another's feelings, efforts, and/or time (which is just as precious as his own). How fortunate I am to have found these esteemed qualities in my health care professionals.

1 comment: